Thoughts on the Way Home

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The LORD is...

-------

Posted with permission from Hannah over at Step By Step:

I have been compiling this list for a couple weeks now, and finally “finished” it this morning. I hope it will encourage you all as it encouraged me while I was putting it together! (It is definitely not complete, so feel free to let me know of any additions/subtractions/changes that need to be made.)
_______________________________________________
The LORD is my—

Brother
“For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren.”
--Hebrews 2:11
“. . .He had to be made like His brethren in all things. . . .”
--Hebrews 2:17
“. . .heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ. . . .”
--Romans 8:17

Comfort
“. . .You comfort me.”
--Isaiah 12:1
“I, even I, am He who comforts you.”
--Isaiah 51:12
“As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.”
--Isaiah 66:13

Deliverer
“The LORD is. . .my deliverer. . . .”
--Psalm 18:2
“He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.”
--Psalm 18:17
“He delivers me from my enemies.”
--Psalm 18:48
“. . .The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer.”
--II Samuel 22:2
“Arise, O LORD, confront him, bring him low; deliver my soul from the wicked with Your sword.”
--Psalm 17:13
“. . .O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man!”
--Psalm 43:1

Father
“For You are our Father, though Abraham does not know us and Israel does not recognize us. You, O LORD, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is Your name.”
--Isaiah 63:16
“But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; and all of us are the work of Your hand.”
--Isaiah 64:8
“. . .You have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, ‘Abba! Father!’ The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God.”
--Romans 8:15-16

Fortress/Refuge
“The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”
--Psalm 18:2
“O LORD my God, in You I have taken refuge; save me from all those who pursue me, and deliver me.”
--Psalm 7:1
“The LORD also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble; and those who know Your name will put their trust in You, for You, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.”
--Psalm 9:9-10
“In the LORD I take refuge. . . .”
--Psalm 11:1
“I have become a marvel to many, for You are my strong refuge.”
--Psalm 71:7
“But the LORD has been my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”
--Psalm 94:22
“But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.”
--Psalm 73:28

Friend
“. . .There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”
--Proverbs 18:24
“I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do.”
--Luke 12:4
“Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you. . . .I have called you friends. . . .You did not choose Me but I chose you. . . .”
--John 15:13-16

God
“. . .You, O LORD, have become their God.”
--II Samuel 7:24
“For Your people Israel You made Your own people forever, and You, O LORD, became their God.”
--I Chronicles 17:22
“. . .My King and my God. . .to You I pray.”
--Psalm 5:2
“Oh LORD my God, in You I have taken refuge. . . .”
--Psalm 7:1
“Upon You I was cast from birth; You have been my God from my mother’s womb.”
--Psalm 22:10
“. . .This is my God, and I will praise Him; my father’s God, and I will extol Him.”
--Exodus 15:2
“. . .I will say, ‘They are My people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is my God.’ ”
--Zechariah 13:9

Help
“In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry for help before Him came into His ears.”
--Psalm 18:6
“. . .You have been my help. . . .”
--Psalm 27:9
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
--Psalm 46:1
“My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.”
--Psalm 121:2

Hiding Place
“You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.”
--Psalm 32:7
“. . .Hide me in the shadow of Your wings.”
--Psalm 17:8

High Priest
“Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.”
--Hebrews 2:17
“Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.”
--Hebrews 4:14
“. . .Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.”
--Hebrews 6:20

Hope
“For You are my hope; O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth.”
--Psalm 71:5

Husband
“For your husband is your Maker, whose name is the LORD of hosts. . . .”
--Isaiah 54:5
“. . .As the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so your God will rejoice over you.”
--Isaiah 62:5
“. . .Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.”
--Ephesians 5:25-27

Judge
“Let my judgment come forth from Your presence; let Your eyes look with equity. You have tried my heart. . . .”
Psalm 17:2-3
“Judge me, O LORD my God, according to Your righteousness.”
--Psalm 35:24
“For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us.”
--Isaiah 33:22
“. . .The one who examines me is the Lord.”
--I Corinthians 4:4
“I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds.”
--Jeremiah 17:10

King
“Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You I pray.”
--Psalm 5:2
“. . .The LORD is our king; He will save us.”
--Isaiah 33:22
“. . .God is my king from of old, Who works deeds of deliverance in the midst of the earth.”
--Psalm 74:12
“Lift up your heads, O gates, and lift them up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in! Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, He is the King of glory.”
--Psalm 24:9-10

Life
“Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. . . .’ ”
--John 6:35
“Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies.’ ”
--John 11:25
“. . .Christ, who is our life. . . .”
--Colossians 3:4

Lifter of my head
“But You are a shield around me, O LORD; You bestow glory on me and lift up my head.”
--Psalm 3:3

Light
“For You light my lamp; the LORD my God illumines my darkness.”
--Psalm 18:28
“No longer will you have the sun for light by day, nor for brightness will the moon give you light; but you will have the LORD for an everlasting light, and your God for your glory.”
--Isaiah 60:19
“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? . . .”
--Psalm 27:1

Master
“Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, until He is gracious to us.”
--Psalm 123:2
“. . .It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.”
--Colossians 3:24b
“Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A slave is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.”
--John 15:20

Portion/Inheritance
“The LORD is the portion of my inheritance. . . .”
--Psalm 16:5
“ ‘The LORD is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘Therefore I have hope in Him.’ ”
--Lamentations 3:24
“. . .God is. . .my portion forever.”
--Psalm 73:26

Redeemer
“. . .Your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth.”
--Isaiah 54:5
“ ‘In an outburst of anger I hid My face from you for a moment, but with everlasting lovingkindness I will have compassion on you,’ says the LORD your Redeemer.”
--Isaiah 54:8
“. . .Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!”
--Isaiah 43:1
“. . .You were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold. . .but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.”
--I Peter 1:18-19
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.”
--Psalm 19:14
“As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth.”
--Job 19:25

Righteousness
“In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely; and this is His name by which He will be called, ‘The LORD our righteousness.’ ”
--Jeremiah 23:6
“. . .The LORD is our righteousness.”
--Jeremiah 33:16

Rock
“The LORD is my rock. . . .”
--Psalm 18:2
“For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?”
--Psalm 18:31
“The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of my salvation.”
--Psalm 18:46
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.”
--Psalm 19:14
“To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, do not be deaf to me, for if You are silent to me, I will become like those who go down to the pit.”
--Psalm 28:1

Salvation
“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.”
--Isaiah 12:2
“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; whom shall I dread?”
--Psalm 27:1
“Salvation belongs to the LORD; Your blessing be upon Your people! Selah.”
--Psalm 3:8
“The LORD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise Him; my father’s God, and I will extol Him.”
--Exodus 15:2
“And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation.”
--Hebrews 5:9

Savior
“Wondrously show Your lovingkindness, O Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand from those who rise up against them.”
--Psalm17:7
“I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.”
--Psalm 18:3
“For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. . . .”
--Isaiah 43:3“I, even I, am the LORD, and there is no savior besides Me.”
--Isaiah 43:11
“And the LORD their God will save them in that day as the flock of His people; for they are as the stones of a crown, sparkling in His land.”
--Zechariah 9:16
“And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.”
--Luke 1:47
“For today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.”
--Luke 2:11

Shepherd
“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.”
--Psalm 23:1
“And He will arise and shepherd His flock in the strength of the LORD, in the majesty of the name of the LORD His God. And they will remain, because at that time He will be great to the ends of the earth.”
--Micah 5:4
“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”
--John 10:11

Shield/Protector
“The LORD is. . .my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”
--Psalm 18:2
“. . .He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.”
--Psalm 18:30
“But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head.”
--Psalm 3:3
“In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety.”
--Psalm 4:8
“My shield is with God, who saves the upright in heart.”
--Psalm 7:10
“The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him.”
--Psalm 28:7

Song
“. . .The LORD GOD is my. . .song. . . .”
--Isaiah 12:2
“The LORD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.”
--Psalm 118:14
“. . .I will sing to the LORD. . . .The LORD is my strength and song. . . .”
--Exodus 15:2

Strength
“I love You, O LORD, my strength.”
--Psalm 18:1
“The God who girds me with strength. . . .”
--Psalm 18:32
“The LORD is my strength. . . .”
--Exodus 15:2
“For You have girded me with strength for battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.”
--Psalm 18:39
“I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.”
--Psalm 3:5
“The LORD is my strength and my shield. . . .”
--Psalm 28:7
“The Lord GOD is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds’ feet, and makes me walk on my high places. . . .”
--Habakkuk 3:19
“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heat and my portion forever.”
--Psalm 73:26

Upholder
“. . .Your right hand upholds me. . . .”
--Psalm 18:35

Vengeance
“The God who executes vengeance for me. . . .”
--Psalm 18:47

-------