Thoughts on the Way Home

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Rock that is Higher







Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I



I never get upset over the fact that God is higher than I, that he is God and I am not. It is such a joy. It means he gets to fight the battles, and I get to hide in him... and nothing is too difficult for him. He gets to rule the universe, and I get to worship him.

To quote Gandalf, "He is both wise and powerful... he'll know what to do." And I would add, he is good (unlike Saruman).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,
listen to my prayer;
from the end of the earth I call to you
when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock
that is higher than I,
for you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the enemy.

Let me dwell in your tent forever!
Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!
Selah

For you, O God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Prolong the life of the king;
may his years endure to all generations!
May he be enthroned forever before God;
appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

So will I ever sing praises to your name,
as I perform my vows day after day.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


We get to join the long heritage of those who have hidden themselves in the Rock of Ages.