Thoughts on the Way Home

Friday, June 27, 2008

Blessed Assurance - Sinclair Ferguson

-------

Christ has become the once-for-all sacrifice for our sins. He has been raised and vindicated in the power of an indestructible life as our representative priest. By faith in Him, we are as righteous before the throne of God as He is. For we are justified in His righteousness; His justification before God is ours! And we can no more lose this justification than He can fall from heaven. Thus, our justification does not need to be completed any more than does Christ's! It is complete already, and it is permanent. With this in view, the author [of Hebrews] says that "by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified" (Heb. 10:14).

...When I know that Christ is the one real sacrifice for my sins, that His work on my behalf has been accepted by God, that He is my heavenly Intercessor--then His blood is the antidote to the poison in the voices that echo in my conscience, condemning me for my many failures. Indeed, Christ's shed blood chokes them into silence!

Thus, knowing that Jesus Christ is my Savior delivers me from my anxious fears, and brings me joy and wonderful assurance. I am condemned no more--not even by my own conscience. Jesus is mine. Blessed assurance indeed!

-Sinclair Ferguson, In Christ Alone, 151-2.

-------