Thoughts on the Way Home

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Shouting for Joy

--- --- ---

Ps. 71:23 My lips will shout for joy when I sing praises to You;
And my soul, which You have redeemed.


Why is it we tend to think of a person as being a weirdo when they shout for joy during worship? I mean, if they are someone we know and respect, it’s usually ok, but if they are a stranger or visitor in our assembly and they shout for joy during the singing time, in most of the assemblies I’ve been around not a few eyebrows would be raised. It's almost as if the thinking is, “Yep, that guys probably some shallow oddball charismatic.”

It’s kind of sad that we don’t have more shouting for joy.

On another note, I wonder what the “regulative principle” guys would do with this verse. Do their services have regulated times for shouting with joy? ;)