Thoughts on the Way Home

Monday, February 09, 2009

Thoughts From Some Hymns

The following are some sections from hymns which have encouraged me recently.

"I love, I love my Master,
I will not go out free."
Havergal, I Love My Master

Taken from Exodus 21:5-6. Satan keeps his subjects through tyranny and burden (Exodus 1:10-11). Christ keeps his subjects through bringing them to their senses (2 Timothy 2:25-26). He doesn't fear their "going in and out" (John 10:9) - no servant of His would ever leave such a good Master.


"Yea, all I need in thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come."
Elliott, Just as I Am

The great indictment nailed to the door of Laodicea was their richness of spirit (Revelation 3:17). They weren't seeing reality. Christ bids them to have Him as their only Vendor (Revelation 3:18). Moment by moment the Spirit will lead us in holiness (Romans 8:13-14). The essence of poverty of spirit means I draw my life from these promptings. To be rich in spirit means I draw from life from the promptings of the flesh.


"Come and see, look on this mystery,
The Lord of the Universe, nailed to a tree.
Christ our God, spilling His Holy blood,
Bowing in anguish, His sacred head.
Sing to Jesus..."
Ortega, Sing to Jesus

I received a fresh glimpse of the wonder of what the dear Lord Jesus has done for us. So yes! - sing to Jesus!