Thoughts on the Way Home

Friday, June 12, 2009

Do You Love the Bride of Christ?

Derek Webb wrote a song called, "The Church." The story goes that at some point in his performing concerts people kept coming up to him griping about the state of the church and how his music has helped them to see how they need to bail on the church (keep in mind he's kind of a left-ist, with many left-ist type followers). Though Webb has written a lot of songs trying to stir up and purify the professing church of our day, his intention was never for people to abandon the bride of Christ. That's why he wrote this song.

Notice not only the overarching theme and purpose of redemption, but his use of both the symbols of baptism and the Lord's supper. These two ordinances are hard to do alone.

--- --- ---

I have come with one purpose 
to capture for myself a bride 
by my life she is lovely 
by my death she’s justified 

I have always been her husband 
though many lovers she has known 
so with water i will wash her 
and by my word alone 

So when you hear the sound of the water 
you will know you’re not alone 

Chorus:
‘Cause i haven’t come for only you
but for my people to pursue
you cannot care for me with no regard for her
if you love me you will love the church

I have long pursued her 
as a harlot and a whore 
but she will feast upon me 
she will drink and thirst no more 

So when you taste my flesh and my blood 
you will know you’re not alone 

Chorus:
There is none that can replace her 
though there are many who will try 
and though some may be her bridesmaids 
they can never be my bride