Thoughts on the Way Home

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

We Should Never Be Discouraged

Have you ever thought about the line from the song What a Friend We Have in Jesus? It says, “We should never be discouraged...” What?! Never? Can that be right?

There is a temptation in the Christian life to treat discouragement as a part of the Christian’s spiritual existence. “Discouragement is right,” the mind says, “things aren’t going well.” Be careful here.

First, yes, admit there is a need. Be it sin or a lack of the Holy Spirit in day to day life and service, we should never pretend we are walking on a level that we’re not. But is the way to go forward with God really to get discouraged? I don’t think so. I find that discouragement is often a form of settling for less in disguise. It's a good way to thicken on your lees. It’s a subtle sin of unbelief and inward murmuring and complaining and inaction. No, the way forward is to walk the path of faith.

- Faith will tell you that Christ died to set you free from every sin and idol (1 Pet. 2:24,Titus 2:14).

- Faith will tell you that Christ died to secure the fullness of the Spirit in your life (Gal. 3:13-14).

These are awesome realities held out to us! All this, and more is the Christian’s blood bought birthright. Christ as an ever-living risen savior brings a salvation to his people that can be described as nothing less than, “to the uttermost.” Don’t be discouraged, believe!

Even in fighting discouragement, Christ is our supreme example. Whoever had more of a right to be frustrated and disheartened but the lonely savior that the world rejected?

Isa. 49:1-7

1Listen to Me, O islands,
And pay attention, you peoples from afar
The LORD called Me from the womb;
From the body of My mother He named Me.
2He has made My mouth like a sharp sword,
In the shadow of His hand He has concealed Me;
And He has also made Me a select arrow,
He has hidden Me in His quiver.
3He said to Me, "You are My Servant, Israel,
In Whom I will show My glory."
4But I said, "I have toiled in vain,
I have spent My strength for nothing and vanity
;
Yet surely the justice due to Me is with the LORD,
And My reward with My God."
5And now says the LORD, who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant,
To bring Jacob back to Him, so that Israel might be gathered to Him
(For I am honored in the sight of the LORD,
And My God is My strength),
6He says, "It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant
To raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel;
I will also make You a light of the nations
So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth."
7Thus says the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel and its Holy One,
To the despised One,
To the One abhorred by the nation,
To the Servant of rulers
,
"Kings will see and arise,
Princes will also bow down,
Because of the LORD who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel who has chosen You."

Did Christ give in to discouragement? No. Neither should you. You’ve been united to him. Consider one final passage.

Isaiah 42:3-4

3"A bruised reed He will not break
And a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish;
He will faithfully bring forth justice.
4"He will not be disheartened or crushed
Until He has established justice in the earth;
And the coastlands will wait expectantly for His law."

King James perhaps says it better in verse 4: “He will not be discouraged…”

Hard things come. They are appointed for you and God knows why. Don’t be discouraged, rather take it to the Lord in prayer. Fight the fight of faith and cling to God all the more. There are too many promises for us to go moping around in the dumps, beloved!