Thoughts on the Way Home

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Martyrdom

Focus on the importance of the dialogue in John 13:36-38:

Peter - "Lord, where are You going?"

Jesus - "Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later."

Peter - "Lord, why can I not follow You right now? I will lay down my life for You."

Jesus - "Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times."

--- --- ---

I remember as a new Christian the highest attainment that I could think of was dying a martyr's death. Those were my "zeal without knowledge" days, when to burn out for Christ seemed like the most glorious road imaginable. The only thought was, "am I ready?"

Ten years down the road, I've started thinking again. Peter thought he was ready and he wasn't. This truly sobered me... Does it you? Did you know God knows the true depth of your dedication? Humble yourself and head back into the safe harbor of his grace.

Maybe we should take Jesus' advice at the end of this gospel in chapter 21, "You follow me!" God knows best the time and place of our departure from this life and entrance into fullness of joy in his presence. Let's follow where he leads in life and leave the dying up to him. He may say to us "...you cannot follow me now... but you will follow me later." This is his prerogative.