Thoughts on the Way Home

Monday, February 15, 2010

Resting, Resting

-----
Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;

I was encouraged this weekend by the above lines. I very often get discouraged about how little progress I have made in the Christian life. However, if I can ever get my mind off my failures for long enough to start thinking about the Lord Jesus, I inevitably find myself rejoicing.

Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,

I indeed have made only a little progress - but He went all the way. And not only did He go all the way - He went all the way on my behalf (2 Corinthians 5:21). And now perfect righteousness sits at the right hand of God far, far away from my failings here on earth. I cannot soil it. It's too high and out of my reach. And so I must forget about my failures and my victories, my gains and my loses, and everything else that happens on earth. I must keep my attention on the Person of Christ. And...

Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.

The entire hymn may be found here.