Thoughts on the Way Home

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Crucified with Christ

-------

"I am crucified with Christ."
             -- Galatians 2:20

The Lord Jesus Christ acted in what he did as a great public
representative person, and his dying upon the cross was the virtual
dying of all his people. Then all his saints rendered unto justice what
was due, and made an expiation to divine vengeance for all their sins.
The apostle of the Gentiles delighted to think that as one of Christ's
chosen people, he died upon the cross in Christ. He did more than
believe this doctrinally, he accepted it confidently, resting his hope
upon it. He believed that by virtue of Christ's death, he had satisfied
divine justice, and found reconciliation with God. Beloved, what a
blessed thing it is when the soul can, as it were, stretch itself upon
the cross of Christ, and feel, "I am dead; the law has slain me, and I
am therefore free from its power, because in my Surety I have borne the
curse, and in the person of my Substitute the whole that the law could
do, by way of condemnation, has been executed upon me, for I am
crucified with Christ."

-C. H. Spurgeon

-------