Thoughts on the Way Home

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Importance of Hymns

-------

The Importance of Hymns: An Unknown Hymn-Writer: Karolina W. Sandell-Berg

England had its great women hymnists, such as Frances Ridley Havergal and also America, in such ladies as Fanny Crosby. But Sweden had a relatively unknown hymn writer in Lina Sandell, more formerly known as Karolina W. Sandell-Berg, who lived from 1832-1903. Sandell wrote approximately 650 hymns. Though not as prolific a hymnist as Fanny Crosby, Lina Sandell wrote some of the finest hymns of the faith, including one of my favorites, Day by Day, which I sent to a dear friend today. If you are not familiar with it, please learn it and sing it. The benefits of meditating on this hymn are far-reaching and very encouraging.

"Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Power.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land."

One of the greatest negligences among Christians today is the neglect of great hymns. We neglect them by not learning them, singing, and meditating on them for our own spiritual benefit. To settle for the shallow, frivilous, empty-headed, unintelligent and frothy music of today, when such spiritual and theological riches exist, is a great mistake. People need to be told and educated on this important aspect of the Christian life.

"Learn the hymns", said Leonard Ravenhill. He was right then and he still is today.

-Mack Tomlinson
-------