Thoughts on the Way Home

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Our Faithful Keeper - Mack Tomlinson

-------

Our Faithful Keeper

Psalm 121

What a great reality that it is God who keeps us or we would not be kept. What a thought and what a fact that it is He alone that keeps us in all our ways. Just think for a moment what God promises us in this regard. In Psalm 121, we are told no less than six times in six verses that God is keeping us.

He who keeps you will not slumber- vs. 3

Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep- vs. 4

The Lord is your keeper- vs. 5

The Lord will keep you from all evil- vs 7

He will keep your life- vs 7

The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore- vs. 8

I am so glad, so thankful, and so comforted by the fact that it is Christ who keeps us. I can't even keep my desk straight and clean--how then could I keep my life and soul preserved for the future and for eternity? How could we keep ourselves from the enemy? How could we keep ourselves from being overcome by life? We could not and we cannot keep ourselves. We would not be kept unless One infinitely greater than ourselves was not keeping us every moment.

Kept by the power of God through faith- 1 Peter 1:5

Thou shalt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee- Isaiah 26:3

Unto Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you blameless before His presence with great joy- Jude 24

Kept

I am so glad of this certainty
That my King ever keeps me;
Preserved to the end I shall be
Kept by grace full and free.

Kept by love that never fails
Goodness and mercy my life do trail;
Kept by wisdom never ending
Kept by grace He keeps sending.

Kept by Him through promises unfailing
Kept for Him by power ere flowing;
Kept by Him till this life shall end
Kept for Him till this race I win.

Kept by Him unto eternity
Kept for Him forever I'll be;
Kept by Him till my days are done
Kept for Him till my course is run.

- Mack Tomlinson

-------