Thoughts on the Way Home

Monday, December 31, 2007

The World's Foolish Wisdom

I've seen some pretty foolish advertisement's before, but traveling over the Christmas season I think I saw the most egregious of them all.

The billboard had the title "Monogamy 101" and then a picture of a man snuggled up with his significant other. Off to the right of all that was a picture advertising a very expensive diamond ring.

At first I didn't get it. It took me a minute as I drove past the billboard still thinking about the advertisement. You'll have to forgive me for not making the connection that an expensive diamond ring is supposed to buy marital faithfulness that our culture much lacks and desires.

Since I'm single and can't appreciate it as much, I'll ask you married folks to thank God for the glory of Christ in giving a real purpose for marriage and a real motivation to faithfulness.

- - -

In case you're wondering the second place winner was an ad I saw at a restaurant in Dallas. It had a picture of an ice cream/moose type slice of pie and said "Kahlua Ice Cream Pie: cheaper than therapy."